Bringing camera to work annual event, bad idea?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
karet
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
Re: Bringing camera to work annual event, bad idea?
In reply to Cameranoobie, 4 months ago

Cameranoobie wrote:

My work is having our annual general event which is held at a hotel with breakfast. It usually is 2-3 hours long and just has quest speakers. It is not a party time event. Its still work related topics.

I was thinking it would be a great oppurtunity to shoot because shooting events excites me. My boss knows im into photography. Do you think it would be a bad idea to bring my cam? I would feel bad for even asking if its not appropriate in this situation. But it excites me just typing this, thinking of shooting the event.

What do you think? The event is this Friday.

Why not? It could create value for the company. Guest speakers might appreciate it if your company sends them a photo taken at the event.

Just be realistic towards your boss about your skills and experience. His answer could be "no thanks" if he wants professional work or he could welcome the opportunity to let you grow into photographic work for the company. An employee offering skills and wanting to learn is always interesting to an employer.

Indoor work is not easy so read up on event photography. Learn a bit about balancing flash with ambient light and how to balance light (flash) on the speaker with projected slides behind the speaker. In short: aperture, iso and shutter time for the ambient light, flash exposure compensation for your subject, TTL will do the rest for you. Be early to experiment with your settings before the event starts.

Good luck,

Karet

karet's gear list:karet's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5200 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow