Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fenlander
Regular MemberPosts: 309
Like?
** Mini Challenge #424 "Five to one" ** WINNERS
4 months ago

Many thanks to everyone who posted or commented. This was my first time running one of these challenges and I guess I set a topic that didn't suit everyone, but hey, you live and learn...

Some of the shots that were posted for fun or for exhibition were good enough to make it to the podium; still, I have only considered the first 3 posts by each person. It was quite difficult. I was looking for shots where the 5:1 format actually enhanced the image or where the subject matter was particularly well suited, rather than those where the picture looked as if it had been uncomfortably chopped to fit the shape.

I would also say that there were some images that suited the format superbly and that would have featured in the results with just a minor tweak of two. You can't really get away with a sloping horizon in a 5:1 format!

Honourable mentions:

The best of the panoramas and a natural fit for the format.

A very near miss. A dramatic sky and an excellent banner for a certain type of website. Stephenbw's posts for this challenge were all excellent.

An imaginative use of the format whose intimacy was all the more striking among the panoramas.

THIRD PLACE

I liked both of gloaming's seascapes. I narrowly preferred this one because of the subtlety in the tones of the mountains and the more balanced composition, with the sea taking just 1/3 of the height. There's definitely something about thirds.

SECOND PLACE

Thirds again. This was such a contrast to the landscapes and it might have been shot specifically for 5:1. I also really liked zenfr2009's whimsical '6 photographers' - who, I wonder, was in the photo booth?

THE WINNER

Dueval features for the second time. I loved both the beach photos: in truth the first one was even more striking as a composition, but this one's colours are better balanced and give a really moody atmosphere. Great shot.

Again, thanks to everyone and over to you, Dueval.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow