Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,882Gear list
Like?
Re: With exception!
In reply to digititus, 4 months ago

digititus wrote:

Nordstjernen wrote:

Then I wonder why so many just have to blame or bash the camera instead of discussing what can be done with the gear. Camera tec is about how we handle the camera to get the best results, or ... ?

1. All cameras are mass marked products, engineered to suit a wide range of users
  2. We have to accept that the camera is just like it is - do your homework before buying
  3. You need to learn the camera to know very well to find out what is hot and what is not
  4. If there are issues, why not look for workarounds - then you are fit for fight anytime
  5. If you don't like a camera, why tell/warn others? Why not just buy a camera you like?

Well, it will come as no surprise that I take exception to some of your comments. Whether you agree or not, many people come to these forums for the sole purpose of making an informed decision about their intended purchase. In fact, your own words say "do your homework before buying".

How does one do their home work if the only information they can find is the marketing hype in press releases and posts from people who think Sony can do no wrong. And these are the same people who seem to sit at their computers 24 hours/day to counter every criticism.

Furthermore, I think manufacturers pay as much attention to criticisms of their product as they do praise, especially if the criticism is widespread.

Workarounds....well, I can accept that idea to the extent there are model differences and manufacturer differences. Features are left in or out by intent or design. So, you make a choice and "workaround" what is missing. However, when the workaround is for a flaw that is so basic, it becomes inexcusable, that is a different story. The Sony flash system is a perfect example. The worst in the industry, and with the announcement of the A77II there is not a word to suggest they have made any attempt to improve it.

Any finally, your statement #5 borders on being outrageous. Forums are for the purpose of sharing information, not for hiding it!

What I agree is needed is:

• Well thought out concerns and ideas:
  • Totally agree.. the site should not be Sugar and Unicorns.

What I think the forum needs less of

• Self appointed spokes persons who speak for "All Buyers", "All Professional / Real / Serious Photographers"
  • self appointed life coaches and life-style critics who will tell people why other people post stuff and what is going on in their life (I note that they rarely guess "Wife going through cancer treatments so he spends more time at home and on PC)

Example:

Positive Feedback and Critique "I will (really miss| am made about ) the GPS, because I use it this way. " Bonus would be "Does anyone have an idea how to work around this loss?"

Much less useful feedback : "I hate Sony because they take away a useful feature like GPS everyone can use and give us NFC and Wifi no real photographer needs"

Useful feedback: " I need / hope Sony will get us a new FF with 12 | 36 MP because I like to shoot (Etchings | Night Fishing)"

Much less usful feedback "Sony doesn't care about real photographers they only make toy cameras and I want a FF camera for real work and they have released nothing for me in over a year (of course ignoring advanced lens releases etc)

Useful feed back "Ken.. I get your point, but disagree.. we don't need to go this back and forth anymore. OK?"

Much less useful feedback "Tired of your Fanboy attitude and pretty sure you're paid by Sony and not what you say you are. Get a life"

Trust me I am more than willing to take my own coaching.. I need to be really careful to respect the "I don't like because" and not treat them the same as the "This is a useless _____ No one really needs" posts

And I need to watch taking out my life stress here..

But really when someone posts a positive view of the camera, the clearly makes no claims about amazing IQ .... Is there value in the types of brainless personal attacks some think are needed to dampen too much positive opinions"

Some I think hide behind the idea of anything good is marketing hype and anything negative even personal attacks is just balance, As an excuse to just be rude.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow