Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,424Gear list
Like?
Re: Missed Opportunities
In reply to ryan2007, 5 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

fratiodan wrote:

I would have to agree. I see no point in an nd filter for these shots. Maybe if they were overexposed, then sure. But...they aren't...

So are they shooting auto exposure? Do they choose aperture or shutter priority. If you chose to shoot 1/4000 sec of a stationary subject this must be your/their first camera.

The exposure does not make any sense and yes, you need a ND filter to help and yes the exposure is overexposed.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with shooting stationary objects at 1/4000 if you have proper exposure.    It doesn't change the look of the image at all for stationary objects so there's no disadvantage if you need less light so you can have more aperture options.

There's absolutely nothing wrong shooting wide open aperture if you want the subject to stand out from the background, particularly with the busy backgrounds here.

The Dynamic Range function usually indicates in EXIF a higher ISO than 200, so I don't believe it was used.    Even if it was, it would be appropriate if he were taking JPGs, since it basically underexposes the shot and adjusts the curves to bring it back up to help preserve highlights...more of a DR shift than an increase.

I do agree that some of these are indeed overexposed (or post processed as high key...they look processed)  and that an ND filter would have assisted if he wanted to keep shooting wide open since her was at bottom ISO and top shutter.  If I didn't have one, I would have stopped down a little to prevent overexposure.

Definitely would have shot raw (OP didn't specify) since there was some extremes of brightness values in the bright sun.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow