Museum Report: I guess I don't need a better camera.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Will Frost
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
Museum Report: I guess I don't need a better camera.
4 months ago

I went to the National Portrait Gallery in DC the other day, and I noticed a few things. First, most of the photographs on display were 11x14, at the largest, followed by things that were mostly 10" on a side, in different proportions. I don't think any of them would need more than 12-16 megapixels at the source to print at these sizes. I don't think I need to worry about sharpness anymore, or color accuracy, or probably even shutter shock.

I learned that bokeh matters, but that I don't need much.

I saw that the best paintings were enormously better than the best photographs. I don't know why. I can guess that it came from the tremendous amount of control over composition and line. I'll have to spend a lot of time thinking about this.

Early photographs, like Brady's portraits of Civil War generals were every bit as good as ones taken in the last five years - not technically, but because of some kind of insight on his part.

I'm stumped, really. I come here to learn about the latest and greatest cameras and lenses. I went there, and found out that I didn't need them.

I do still want a few more lenses - and they are available - but I don't have the budget for them. I'm still disappointed that fast 35mm-equivalent lenses are so expensive. (Except for Olympus' 17mm.) But I'll probably get a Fuji or Sony with a speed booster, and yeah maybe I should get an A7 instead, and I'll never give up m43, because I can carry it everywhere, and and and...

...maybe that doesn't really matter.

Will

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow