qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,319Gear list
Re: of little use
In reply to Mako2011, 5 months ago

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

nvlass wrote:

Hans Kruse wrote:

I looked at your photos and although there are a few good ones, I would recommend to you to improve your photography rather than buying new gear. What you have is plentiful for making awesome photos.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Hans Kruse
Home Page -- www.hanskrusephotography.com, http://500px.com/hanskrusephotography, www.hanskrusephotography.zenfolio.com
Workshops -- www.hanskrusephotography.com/gallery/14682573_Q9mq4
Facebook Photography http://www.facebook.com/HansKrusePhotography
Workshop Newsletter signup http://eepurl.com/bA0Pj

I would be happy if you give me some advice, if you have, than a general improve my photography.

I am learning fast ....

Thanks

Still believe A7R is a much cheaper solution for your case that you can see DR and resolution improvements right away while still can use EF lenses as seen by Fred Miranda (and by myself).

Remember though, DR really is of little use as you pointed out...

True, in 95% of time I don't need to push shadows and found Canon DR is sufficient. In 5% of photos I see difference. The main difference is still read-noise not DR actually such as in evening sky where I prefer to use A7R. I need more clean shadow than extreme shadow pushing.

qianp2k wrote:

"The only way to leverage 14-stop DR ... is by severe ETTL (expose on left) is by exposing on highlight and then pull deep dark shadows many stops back....But by doing so there are severe consequences...lost details and excessive noise/grain in original shadow areas and possible color tonality damaged. Serious photographers don't do this way.

With that in mind...there may be even cheaper options for the serious photographer and no real reason to go the A7R route and chase DR/MP's. A used 5DmkII might be just as effective.

Case by case. For me 21/22mp is sufficient as I usually don't print and only print to 20x30". 21/22mp is sufficient in my current 2650x1440 monitor. I bought A7R mainly for light/small setup in travelling and resolution is only for last concern actually. I'd buy A7 provided if it's equal to A7R such as AA filter less but only difference in resolution. It's true to see obvious DR different in those severely underexposed photos. Otherwise if exposed normally or even a bit HTTR the difference is not that big, at least true in 95% of my photos. At this moment, only Sony makes FF ML camera. I'd buy Canon's one provides Canon gives me such choice. That's the reason I bought EOS-M and the same reason I bought A7R.

I always said I respect other people's need for high resolution/high DR cameras although not in my case at time being. When I have a true 4K monitor one day or even 8K monitor down to road, I will see the value of high resolution cameras. I also don't believe over-cropping but use native FL lenses. Please don't twist what I said or cut context of entire what I said regarding resolution vs need for given outside size at time being.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
TrueNew
trueNew
easyNew
SeeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow