Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
shigzeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?
Re: Catch-All Focus on the XT-1?
In reply to PG Thomas, 5 months ago

PG Thomas wrote:

shigzeo ? wrote:

It is useful in so many places. Set a distance, finger on the trigger, depressed fully, wait, or drag the camera in a line and fire it does only when the camera detects focus. No AF motor engaged, just AF prediction. Amazing tech that the X-T1 lacks.

Not only that but the shutter always triggers the AF module, too. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to use AF with the AF button only, and 'M' mode doesn't count.

The way I see this. In AF mode The Fuji sends signals to the focusing motor to bring the subject into focus within the focus area. So it is the Camera (not the lens) which matters here.

With the K-5 you leave the camera in AF.S as Shigzeo mentions, and the camera waits for the image to be in focus before releasing the shutter as it clearly has no control over the manual lens.

Of course if one pans the camera around it will find something in focus and fire. But in this kind of sports event where one chooses the point of focus (on a tri-or monopod) you can keep that out of focus until the subject is at the right distance. I typically have a piece of out of focus crash barrier or road surface in the focus area where I know I will get a full frame shot of the subject in the centre of the frame in focus when it comes into view (usually about 10 meters nearer).

it seems to me that the XT-1 could do this. Leaving the setting on AF-S (Focus), and allow this mode as an option in 'Shoot without Lens".

Pete

Would be so nice if this were available.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow