Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - how to enable focus tracking?
In reply to Brian_Downunda, 7 months ago

Brian_Downunda wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

I think that there's a misuse of terminology here which is leading people astray. From what I've read, the X-T1 will keep focus locked on a moving subject kept in the centre of the frame where the PDAF pixels are. Go outside of that area (9 AF points?) and it will let go.

With other systems mentioned, how do you "paint" (or "unpaint") your moving target?

I think terminology is an issue. There isn't focus tracking in the Nikon (and probably Canon) sense. Even face recognition probably isn't tracking a face, just continuously looking for faces.

Rather what the X-T1 has is predictive autofocus. Under certain situations the camera will predict in which direction a subject is moving and how fast and attempt to move focus as the subject moves, not after.

You get this in AF-C with CH modes. This locks you into the centre 9 focus points. What is not clear, and isn't clear from the manual, is whether you also get predictive focus in other combinations of modes if you restrict yourself to the centre 9 focus points.

A little more documentation from Fuji on whether this works in other modes would help.

Correct.  I will add that it will hold focus on that moving object (as long as you keep it in the focus box, which does not move around the viewfinder) even if it passes behind closer objects, like light brush and tree branches, that would otherwise grab focus away from the subject.

Frankly, this does it for me.  I never expected it to move the focus box with the moving subject.  Does ANY camera do that?

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow