Poor video-capability of OM-D E-M10. How good is sound recording?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
40daystogo
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Poor video-capability of OM-D E-M10. How good is sound recording?
2 months ago

In deciding between the Lumix GX7 and Olympus OM-D E-M10, I've come across the frequent comment that the OM-D's video capability are substantially below that of Panasonic, and that Panasonic are best for video in their cameras.

I use video, in my cameras, to record a lot of amateur music performances, and hence the ability to capture accurate sound is important to me. My requirements are probably not that great, for instance, I've been somewhat satisfied by the audio that comes from videos taken with my Sony RX100.

Hence, my question is, just how poor quality are videos taken with the OM-D E-M10? In particular, I am interested in the audio quality of videos created by the OM-D's.

Are there any RX100 owners who can compared the sound quality of videos taken with the RX100 compared to the E-M10? (I'm not holding up the RX100 as a standard of excellence, far from it, but it's something I already own which is a point of comparison).

Regarding the GX7 vs E-M10, I'm inclined to the Olympus because of its superior in-body stabilisation, so I was wondering if the OM's video capability was at least satisfactory for my needs, particularly recording amateur band performances.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow