Rank Oly lenses in terms of sharpness

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,792Gear list
Like?
About 12-40mm
In reply to Lumixdude, 4 months ago

Lumixdude wrote

A lot of people sing the praises of the 12-40 mostly because it's still new and shiny.

I would sing its praises in the future when it is old and hairy. It's a good lens. For me it has totally removed any vestiges of prime lust.

The 12-40 F/2.8 gets a lot of praise because it covers so much territory... 24-80mm and is still sharp and reasonably fast without many of the typical flaws you see in a zoom compared to a prime. For those who already have the 12-40 it's hard for them to justify why they need the 12 as its a lens that is already covered by their zoom which is understandable.

For people chasing sharpness, the tests appear to show that the 12-40mm is best at f/2.8 and the 12mm best at f/4.0~5.6. The prime may be a whisker sharper but no normal human would ever pick it, though (pausing to think) I guess there's enough serious pixel peepers here to see it.

On the other hand, for someone like myself who already had the 14-42 II R it goes the other way, I find it hard to justify why I should spend $1000 to justify a lens that I already have, so I bought the 12-2 and will probably buy either the 7-14 or 40-150 next. For me it's about justifying what little spending money I have to get the most out of my kit and in that sense the 12-40 doesn't justify itself as anything more than a lens dupe.

Not a dupe at all, it's darn good and the constant f/2.8 makes AF so reliable even in pathetic light. The extra chunkiness seems to make it easier to hand-hold at lower speeds. In my case I'm spending the kids' inheritance so no worries, though I did wait for the post Christmas discount madness.

But that's it, the 7-14/2.8 and the 40-150/2.8 (when they surface) do not appeal so much as they would not get enough use to justify the $$$. For the maybe 5% of shots at tele the Pana 45-150mm works fine for me on E-PL5, nice to use that Mega OIS for a nice stabilised preview without needing to press buttons. Wider, well I think the 12mm [of the 12-40mm] covers most of what I need and the 9-18mm may gather dust in future.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow