Picked up a 50-200mk1 for a very low price - wow!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,425Gear list
Like?
Picked up a 50-200mk1 for a very low price - wow!
4 months ago

I was looking for a weather and dust resistant lens to go with my EM-1 which I use for a lot of water sport (wind / kite surfing, in-shore power boat racing etc) and had long been considering the Olympus 50-200 SWD (otherwise it was going to be the more expensive option of the promised 40-150mk2 + 1.4X TC)

But, weight reduction was the main reason for moving from canon to Olympus m4/3rds in the first place and it seemed quite an expensive buy just to see how I got on with it.

Last week I spotted one of my favourite dealers had a mk2 in for £270, which was said to be in near mint condition and came with a 12 month warranty - so I gave in to temptation and got it

Despite reports that it would be slow focusing I'm finding it easy to use, (yes, it is a bit heavy), it focuses as fast / faster than the already fast 75-300mk2 and better yet, if it misses focus on distant objects first time it rapidly re-acquires focus and locks on firmly

I've had no chance to use it for my intended purpose yet (I missed a race meet yesterday ) but its working fine for small birds in flight (House Martins, distant Terns etc) makes shooting dogs chasing about the beach simple and so far, all I can say is, Wow I wish I had done so earlier, what a great lens with the EM-1.

A few test pics here https://www.flickr.com/photos/75445098@N04/sets/72157644517187403/

As to weight, it balances well on the EM-1 + grip and, so far, its not been too much of a problem hand-holding it (but I've not done a full day shoot yet)

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow