Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?
G1X MKII from a DSLR users perspective
7 months ago

My main camera is 5DIII. I have been looking for a compact all in one camera since I gave up LX5. I wanted to use it when DSLR was impractical or as a DSLR companion to save carrying two DSLRs. I looked at Sony and Nikon offerings, but none suited my specific need. I wanted a camera with large enough sensor for decent IQ, bright lens for those shallow DOF and subject separation(this was big for me) as well as better low light usability and at least 24 to 70 zoom range. Finally the answer came. G1X MKII.

I had this camera for two days only, so my impressions would be incomplete.

Size is perfect for me. I can put it in my coat and jacket pocket. I can also put it in some of my travel trousers' pocket. It feels solid and heavy and fits perfectly in my hands. Controls are well laid out. I wish the power on/off button was more beefy, it is hard (not impossible) to use it with one hand. Flip LCD is very useful for those low angles. I had no problem using it in daylight for composition purpose, but not for viewing smaller detail. I wish one of the rings on the lens could be used for zooming.

Didn't have a chance to experiment a lot, but few pictures.

Three daylight scenes.

Now some indoor low light scenes.

Maximum ISO can be selected in Auto ISO mode. I selected ISO800 maximum, camera used 640. Although, not as shallow or creamy as my 5DIII + 135/f2, background blur is pleasant and specular highlights are nice and round.

ISO800 is pretty good actually (this is where I want stay with my 5DIII), especially if you use RAW. Lots of detail after NR. Here is Ted, he works in our hospital.

Depending on the subject even ISO3200 can be very useful.

ISO3200 cat.

My greatest disappointment so far is that it can be very difficult to autofocus on a small subject with busy background using the long end. Here is an example. It took me ages to get the focus as camera continued to focus on the background which was about 3 ft away from the subject.

Manual focus with focus peaking can be used in these situations.

I am happy with the image quality, but I think RAW is must to get the best results. I have noticed that highlights are easily blown out compared to my DSLRs, so one will have to be extra careful in high contrast scenes.

Is the price too high? For my need it is not. I am sure for many it will be.

So far I am extremely happy.

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow