Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,151
Like?
Help for a memory stuck in the widest aperture
4 months ago

I might be missing something or maybe it was never there, but someone might be able to guide me if I am wrong.

Being used to cameras such as Canon which I recollect (dimly) used to know the capability each lens mounted I sort of half expected lenses built for the M/4/3 standard to be coded in some way so that the lens mounted might be recorded enough to identify it positively in EXIF. Now after a session away with a bunch of lenses including several M4/3 standard issue types my EXIF shows no more than the aperture and shutter speed used for capture and the camera that I have used. Helpful of course but I am just as much back to otherwise guessing the actual lens in use from apertures and shutter speed and the general format of the capture.

Is it true that all M4/3 cameras have no knowledge of the M4/3 lens in use by type other than the basic necessary aperture and shutter speed used knowledge? Perhaps only reliable if the lens is always used wide open.

I am using the GM1 but as I suspect that it is not particularly deprived I assume that this (lack of) feature is across the board - or is my memory of the Canon EXIF become twisted over the years?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow