shigzeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328Gear list
Like?
Re: Catch-All Focus on the XT-1?
In reply to wchutt, 5 months ago

wchutt wrote:

PG Thomas wrote:

wchutt wrote:

With regard to third-party lenses and focus.

I assume you refer to this menu option when you discuss catch all focus?

"Choose how the camera focuses in focus mode AF-S or AF-C.

RELEASE: Shutter response is prioritized over focus. Pictures can be taken when the camera is not in focus. • FOCUS: Focus is prioritized over shutter response. Pictures can be only taken when the camera is in focus."

Yes

And it doesn't work. Pictures can be taken at any focus position with non Fujinon lenses.

So it only appears to work with lenses which communicate with the body. (I.e. Fujinon). Try it!

Pete

Of course it doesn't work with lenses that can't communicate with the body. There is no way for the focus system to interact with the shutter system.

On most Nikon bodies the phase-sensitive focus sensors on the mirror can indicate focus using a green dot at the lower left hand side of the screen. This works if the lens is 5.6 or faster and shutter is depressed half way. I don't remember if the Nikon allows prioritized shutter control.

For the XT-1 Fujifilm does not use the phase sensitive pixels on the sensor to detect for focus. Instead in manual mode they provide the dual-screen mode so you can use focus peaking, a split screen display, or just visual inspection to set and confirm focus.

I have used D200/300/700 bodies since 2008 and the XT-1 manual mode outperforms the Nikon green dot method by far.

Nikon has the system the OP is talking about. I used it all the time. Amazing. The Fujifilm doesn't. Every time the shutter is tripped, no matter the setting, it will fire or try to achieve focus. The camera does NOT understand trap focus with native or other lenses, which is a shame. That said, the control layout isn't as good for that sort of photography as it is on Nikon cameras.

The buttons are harder to blindly press and each one feels the same, so there is no physical indication of which button you are pressing apart from position of the thumb. I have been rather unimpressed by the AF system and the shutter tripping system of the X-T1. It takes too many opposing ideas and throws them into a body that looks like it should be able to do the trick, but does not.

It is NOT a replacement for a Nikon DSLR for a number of key photographic areas. It is an awesome camera though.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow