Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scott Skinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583Gear list
Like?
G1X Mk2 - focusing help
4 months ago

I am trying to learn how to use my new g1X mk2, but there is one area in particular I can not figure out. For what ever reason, the camera does not focus on my target even when I use the center box as my area of interest. This is most often a problem when I am closer to the subject and it is small. It focuses and does so quickly, but it doesn't do it in my intended area.

With my G6, all I had to do is find a vertical line in the area that I wanted to focus on and it would be spot on every time. This trick does not work with the G1X mk2. I've tried different camera settings and I just can't figure out what the camera is doing.

Here are two examples. In the first one it is easy to tell the camera focused on the ground. In the second picture, the only reason I was able to capture the leaves on the seedling is because I knew the G1X was going to focus on the ground, so after locking focus, I moved the camera back 12 inches or so. This made the camera take the picture at the distance of my intent. The area of interest was the leaves at the end of the baby tree trunk.

I tried macro and it did the same thing. I also tried to get further away. I still had the same problem.  I also tried many different angles.

I would like to figure out a trick like I had with the G6. Or maybe I am missing something fairly basic?

Scott Skinner's gear list:Scott Skinner's gear list
G1 X II
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow