Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,384Gear list
Re: Micro-4/3 IQ
In reply to PC Wheeler, 7 months ago

PC Wheeler wrote:

jim stirling wrote:

I do not yet have the GH4 we have heard numerous claims from all the mFT boides in the last couple of years regarding C-AF , tracking and low light alas testing dos not confirm this at all. While I am very keen on video and it looks amazing. as I am also a still shooter I was hoping for a step forward in image quality unfortunately it looks to be much the same as all the other current mFT cameras give or take a fraction of a stop. So though the video is tempting ( very !} I think I will hold off this time.

Given the sensor size there have to be limits on the IQ attainable with any m4/3 camera, Jim. I suspect the EM-1/GH4/GX7/GH3 are approaching that limit.

Hi Phil , I think you are right not just about mFT but in the other formats there has been no real advance on image quality the a7R/A7 are just re-hashes of the Sony sensors previously used in the Nikon D800/E, D600/610 and Sony's own A99. In APS the latest the A6000 is no better than the D7100. Until some new sensor tech comes along I think from an IQ perspective there is little need to upgrade body.

OTOH the GH4 has improved over the GH3 et all in several functional areas like AF, electronic shutter, etc. which (for me) makes it a significant improvement vs. my GH3. And then there is the video!

I agree from a video and tech perspective it is a step up.The still image hiatus is what holds me back.

As to the original post in this thread: A person with a few isolated "facts" can be dangerous

-- hide signature --

Phil

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 +13 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow