Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Artistico
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
Sigma DPn Merrill battery life with screen off
3 months ago

I used to have the first Sigma DP1. I loved looking at the images on the screen coming from that camera. It was so sharp, every pixel adding details to the scene. When the Merrills were released, the price was quite prohibitive, and so I didn't even consider any of them, and kept on using my MFT gear quite happily.

Recently, I discovered that the prices of the Sigma DP Merrills have become not only cheap, but dirt cheap, when you consider the fact that just buying an equivalent lens would set you back the same as buying the whole camera, and I got more interested again.

A lot of my photos are textures and patters from nature and urban settings: rocks, wood, weathered paint, frost, etc. - often scenes with hardly any dynamic range but a lot of detail - things that a Foveon sensor excels at.

But I do hear a lot of mention of battery life - or lack thereof - and I was trying to Google to see if anyone had actually tried using any of the DP Merrills with the screen entirely off, using an external viewfinder or simply shooting from the hip, and comparing the number of shots you can get that way compared with when the screen is on.

Not that it bothers me getting extra batteries, but it would be nice to know to what extent it also might make sense to bring an external viewfinder to save some juice.

Has anyone here tried this? Or do you know of someone who has that has posted their findings online. If so, I'd be very grateful to be directed to it. I might just get one anyway and figure it out for myself, but, as fun as it is reinventing the wheel every now and again, it is also nice occasionally standing on the shoulders of giants.

Artistico's gear list:Artistico's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
ANSWER:
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow