Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
soloryb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,381Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to MisterBG, 7 months ago

MisterBG wrote:

Ted Partrick wrote:

I can't imagine photography without both LR and PS. Doing without either one would require some major rebuilding of my work flow. Two things important to me are 1) being able to take as many (free!) photographs as I want, and 2) being able to make as perfect a photo as I can.

How would I handle 800 photographs taken at the beach over the holidays with just Picasa or Iview of Bridge and Photoshop? Portraits, food, birds, sunsets, surfers, family, play, wide angle, telephoto, sunlit, night sky, card games at night - these all go into LR first. LR is an elegant way to quickly find the good ones and discard the bad ones. The very good adjustments available in LR give me a good idea of how good each photo can be with some adjustments. The elegance is the combination of very fast adjustments to a large number of photos and very flexible tools to select the cream of the crop. I don't know how I would rather reduce the 800 to the 40 best. The 40 best ones are shown to everyone to share and enjoy.

How would I make my very best 4-10 photos from the 40 best? I use PS for the final retouching, the handcrafted work in layers, masks, adjustment layers and filters, repairs (cloning, painting, healing), and compositing. There may be plugins that can do all this, but I'm not familiar with them.

This thread was very interesting to me. My recommendation is LR+PS all the way. The combination is more than the sum of its parts.

I'm interested in why you think a piece of software allows you to capture better images?

Improving one's photographic technique is much preferred over spending hours at the computer trying to fix a mediocre image. The old saying is, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" and no amount of editing will turn a poor photo into a good one.
If you think that then you are deluding yourself.

No amount of PP will repair a poor original.
I don't use Photoshop and have never found the need for it.
Not that I'm saying all my images are perfect, just that I prefer to concentrate on taking photos, getting them right when I capture them, rather than repairing them afterwards.

(BTW LightRoom has plug-ins that will do everything you describe.)

I fully concur that the very first step in photographing something is to attempt to do the best job that the limits of equipment and conditions permit, rather than shooting away and hoping to salvage something later during post. I come from the days of film and the chemical darkroom - where dodging and burning plus a bit of exposure manipulation were the limits of just about all edits. Back then film and chemicals were just too expensive for me to waste by shooting numerous and indiscriminate photos.

Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on the point of view) Photoshop can often make a sow's ear turn into a silk purse. I don't advocate that kind of editing - preferring instead to try to get things right in the first place - but PS has that ability. LR has it too albeit to a much lesser degree.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow