fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 11,932Gear list
Like?
Re: I hear you
In reply to Sal18, 2 months ago

Sal18 wrote:

Sal

I agree that this photo has an unusual gravitas, the emotional moment and the physical presence of the figures.  I would not change the windows.    They add another dimension and add an evocative suggestion of the dimension of time in their lives (or not.)   But I think they work best as an afterthought, a surprise that takes the breath away.   First the viewer has to be smacked in the face with the physical and emotional presence of the couple.

This is way, way more powerful than usual, this photo.   It is a realized work of art.

It is also technically fascinating, in the placement of figures making use of, conquering the limitations of, the restrictive locational palates you shoot in.

I hope this winds up on your wall.

I would spend the time to optimize the tones.   They are a little muddy here.   That may be the best treatment for the subject and light, but it's worth taking some time away and coming back again thinking through how does each tone decision affect the artistic communication.

Be very careful, Sal, not to be too much of a good girl.  This shot I suspect comes close to defining your personal vision that only you can contribute to the world.   Gerald, and others may suggest different ways of treating things, but here that would almost certainly be a big mistake.  Gerald is brilliant and inventive at visually stunning composition, but he is not consistent (nor does he try to be) at revealing psychological truth.   Humility is an artist's best friend.  But there is a bedrock of vision that cannot be surrendered without the artist ceasing to exist.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
pinkNew
HiNew
DaliNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow