Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235
Like?
k5iis, gotchas?
7 months ago

A friend asked for helping in finding an inexpensive but flexible camera for his daughter, a college freshman this year. In examining the options I was surprised to find the k5iis not to far off from a canon sl1 and nikon d3300.

I stopped by best buy while grocery shopping the other day and was rather impressed by the canon and largely disappointed in Nikon, as well as the d3300. They seem to hobble the camera to force someone up the ladder. Menu dive to change iso…really? There are more factors, but they are boring and probably obvious...

Anyway, the k5iis…it's a full camera, not much larger, and a hair more expensive but still (now) a budget option.

Years ago I had a k5, and I still have a k01, but haven't kept up with the newer stuff. I've searched here but haven't found much about problems with the k5iis.

Are there any major issues with the camera that aren't immediately obvious? My biggest concern is responsive af relative to what else is available at a similar price.

Looking at lenses from a fresh perspective it seems like the best options are made by sigma these days. Not really sure though…she might not care about lenses and the kit might just do her well enough.

Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Nikon D3300 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow