Steve Huff v3 first impression/review

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Nung
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve Huff v3 first impression/review
In reply to AustinTed, 7 months ago

AustinTed wrote:

I'm still trying to sort this all out. The a6000 seems to be a completely different beast. With an APS-C sensor the lenses are not going to be small if some reach is needed. Seems like the choice would be more an a6000 vs a DX camera.

I already have an FX camera. If I am going to buy something that is almost as big and heavy as a DX camera with lenses almost as big and heavy, then I'll buy a DX camera so I can at least use all of my existing lenses.

Some of the other options given have poor lens choice or aren't even interchangeable lens (x100S). So I for one am a bit baffled by the advice. The v3 seems to fit a unique spot that is different enough from DX to be with the trouble.

I am considering the v3 as a companion to my FX camera, but am honestly somewhat nervous about the image quality and low light capability. If it can come close to what my D300 used to do (dof differences aside) then I think it would work for me. Even if it would land somewhere between the D200 and D300 in low light capability that would still be impressive. But I'm really not sure.

The lens size has always been the NEX series's main problem. Also there are very few good lenses which doesn't help either. It's size is quite reasonable if you're using a pancake prime lens but anything else, it becomes quite large. To get the best out of the camera, you most likely need to go with Zesis lenses, which cost you an arm and a leg.

If you already have a FX camera, going with DX isn't gonna give you much of a size advantage. The low light performance isn't that much worst then a D300. Certainly similar or pretty close to my old D90.

Nung's gear list:Nung's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow