Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,033Gear list
Like?
Re: auto ISO sucks with X cameras
In reply to Jim in Hudson, 2 months ago

Jim in Hudson wrote:

MartinEA wrote:

As a wedding photographer and like Jim the auto ISO works perfectly for me. Photographing moving objects means I have to freeze people and that means a higher shutter speed.

Having the auto ISO working to a focal length wouldn't work for me.

If your photographing something not moving how easy is it just to move the shutter speed dial.

Fair question but one both of us should answer, not just me!

IMHO, the primary burden is on the photographer to adjust for subject motion/blur instead of having to adjust for camera-induced blur. Why? Because the camera can reasonably calculate the minimum shutter speed needed to compensate for camera blur given the effective lens focal length and whether OIS is active. By contrast, there is no algorithm to compensate for subject motion/blur because the camera can't (realistaclly) know the speed of the subject.

So what does this mean? If you're first concern is subject blur, you should be shooting in S mode where you pick the shutter speed needed for the subject. Only you know what speed is needed for a race car versus a boat to eliminate subject blur. This would leave the camera to calculate minimum shutter speed needed for all of the rest of us who want to shoot in A or P and who's first concern is camera-induced blur. Just my two cents.

Clearly, the only satisfactory solution is to allow both an absolute minimum shutter speed and a focal-length-related minimum shutter speed.

The problem with setting the shutter speed manually is that in bright conditions you might want the camera to choose a much faster speed than the minimum. I prefer to reserve manually setting the shutter speed for those emergency situations where you know the camera will choose too low a speed for some unanticipated fast moving subject.

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow