Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
revdave
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
A Worthy Consideration for Wide Angle Prime
7 months ago

Let offer a few caveats for this review. First, I found it for $325 and my copy is good one - sharp and like new. I also use it on a crop body.  For these reasons, it was definitely my lens of choice for a wide angle prime. The reality is, if you have to pay full price for it (Amazon - $515), there are better choices out there. There are plenty of wide angle primes out there ranging from 24mm to 35mm with IS. So my recommendation is based on finding a good used copy at a great price. And given that people are upgrading to these newer options, I think you are likely to find this one for a good price as people unload them. Since photography is pretty much a hobby for me, primes are a luxury. So price is important for me.

With all that said, I love the results I'm getting. It's perfect for low light conditions in an average size room. This is great for the family get together. It make for fun casual portraits, since you can get close while creating a nice out of focus background. People complain that it isn't razor sharp, but I find it definitely sharp enough to satisfy. In fact, with my copy, I would definitely call it sharp. The auto focus is fast, quiet, and accurate, which is what you'd expect from a USM focus system.

I fretted over whether or not to get a 24, 28 or a 35, given that I wanted something close to a normal lens on my crop body. The fates decided for me when I found it on Craigslist for the price I got.  Quite honestly, I find the 28 to be just right. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices as it simply a matter of a few steps forward or a few steps back.  Besides, the whole point of a prime is that you snap the lens on your camera and make it work, all while gaining the added sharpness and low light capabilities. I'm having fun with this lens, and for the right price, I think you would too.

revdave's gear list:revdave's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
revdave's score
Average community score
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow