Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244Gear list
Like?
E-M1 – 2X Focus Magnify with Auto & Manual Focus
3 months ago

I have been using my E-M1 since October and it has over 18,000 shutter activations. While I do really like the camera, one of the things that I dislike is the tendency of the camera to sometimes focus on something slightly in front of or behind my intended focus point (typically small single focus point). This is primarily a problem when using my EC14 with either my 50-200mm or 70-300mm lens where the depth of field is very shallow (often an inch or less with small birds or as little as 1/10 inch with insects). While the successful images are much better with the E-M1 than my E5, the success rate for the E5 is higher. I tried the MF magnify activated either by the lens or a button on the camera. This solution is okay using a tripod with manual focus, but I almost always hand hold my telephoto lenses for photographing birds and insects. I needed a way to quickly magnify the image to check focus, while still being able to either re-autofocus by moving the camera slightly or by manually correcting the focus. While reading the camera manual, I realized that the solution was the Digital Tele Converter. I use Raw mode exclusively, so the Digital Tele Converter, does nothing except change the EVF to the equivalent of a 2X magnification – the center 4MP is displayed (it also shows a little lighted rectangle around the center 4MP on the LCD screen when reviewing images). The Raw file is not affected by the Digital Tele Converter (only the jpeg image). I assigned the Digital Tele Converter to the front Depth of Field preview button so I can quickly toggle between the normal view and the 2X view without needing to move my hands. I can check and/or correct focus; the SAF+MF still works in the normal way for either normal or Tele Converter view. I decided to post this in case there were others who had not tried this approach. Attached are examples of three images using this technique. In the first two, I wanted to get at least the eye and part of the face of a female Eastern Carpenter Bee to be in focus (depth of field about 1/10 inch, much less than the ¾ to 1 inch long and 3/8 to ½ inch wide bee). The third is an image of a little ¼ inch long jumping spider. The Digital Tele Converter allowed me to see that the spider was looking at me before I took the photograph.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow