Like?
Re: auto ISO sucks with X cameras
In reply to Peter Jonas, 6 months ago

Peter Jonas wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

Peter Jonas wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

stevenjames wrote:

1/focal length is lame to me. Set whatever shutter speed works for you and move on. Its not that hard. With this little camera and standard lens I know that I can handhold no problem using 1/30 so that works fine for me. I've also got great pics hand holding at 1/15 with this and my larger DSLR so what's the beef?

I always thought that 1/focal length was B.S. I never used it with tele lenses thats for sure. Shot weddings with medium format camera and 150mm lens (large & heavy) using 1/60 all day (and night long).

To each his/her own

Steve

-- hide signature --

www.StevenJamesPhotography.com

The rule 1/f makes really sense. It is function of the focal, if you double the focal then in average you will move move twice more. This is simple math and this approximation works really well.. No surprise that all camera makers use this rule (as far as I know, or a close one) !

Maybe the rule for you would be 2/f. It could depend also on the OIS. There are better implementations (Nikon would allow 2/f) but I lost this feature and I really miss it :-(.

When I am in aperture priority mode, the other settings should be AUTO (no need to set the minimum shutter speed). !

If Fuji builds a zoom 18-135, it will be the worst case to use auto-iso !!!

I remember going through the same debate on the Nikon forum a few years ago. Nikon apparently had been very late to follow Canon (and perhaps some of the others) in adopting the 1/f rule in their implementation of Auto ISO.

There were some people who did not want to hear about it, and there were others who thought they could not exist without it. I was just a neutral observer as I was not then (and am not now) a user of Auto ISO.

In the end when finally Nikon responded to user pressure, they implemented it in an optional way. That way both camps were able to be kept happy.

And I think that is what eventually Fuji will need to do.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

No pressure at all so far... I'm afraid it is not going to change soon.

This is really important for me, even if some people prefer another system, I hope they can understand that for other people it really matters. Everybody may be satisfied as you said.

I do not know if Fuji will implement his via a FW update or not. I do hope they will.

With Fuji there is at least hope for something being included in one of their more or less regular FW updates for existing cameras.

With Nikon, people had to wait for a new model to be released, and it was tough luck for those with earlier cameras.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

You said that everybody adopted eventually the 1/f rule. The problem is that Fuji gave it up ! They went the opposite way without giving the option to keep the "normal"  way. This is a bit weird and frustrating. I have x-e1, it behaved "normally" when I bought it.

Thanks for this interesting information.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow