Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Walt_A
Senior MemberPosts: 1,525
Like?
K30: Live view with flash issue in low light
2 months ago

Don't know if anyone else is suffering the following but I stumbled across a workaround today and thought I'd let others know in case it's helpful, as follows:

Problem: Live view in Av with flash drops the shutter speed down from the max 1/180's dependent on light levels, ISO and focal length. For instance using my 100 macro at F/16 it drops to around 1/50's at ISO 100 in the shade. Only way to get it to 1/180's second is to allow floating ISO and it'll bump the ISO up to match ambient light levels as if flash was not being used.

Previous solution: Use manual, set to 1/180's, F/16 and ISO 160 (pick your own), trouble is unlike my Kr the K30's live view does not auto brighten up, it shows massive under exposure in poor lighting (because it doesn't realise I'm using flash) and LV become unusable in low light levels.

New solution: Drop into TAv set to 1/180's, F/16 but set the max ISO to 160 (again pick your own) and hey presto LV auto brightens in low light levels and is now very usable. Note shutter speed, Aperture and ISO are identical to the previous solution it's just that LV reacts differently.

Hope this makes sense. However if you haven't hit this issue with LV then you won't care

If you already knew this why didn't you tell me....

Pentax K-30 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow