Front filter for lens-UV or clear glass?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,593Gear list
Like?
Re: Front filter for lens-UV or clear glass?
In reply to OldPhil, 6 months ago

Hoya HD and HD2 are good.  Supposedly very tough.

Sigma makes filters also.   Sigma DG filters have a very good coating but not as much a selection as you might like..  If you can see the filter the coatings are not good enough.  Sigmas are good, and priced reasonably.

I prefer UV filters but I really don't have any good reasons why.  One possible reason is that less UV into the lens is less light refracting differently through the lens.

I think B+W makes UV+IR filters too, which restrict the spectrum to the visible range.  They are quite pricey, so I haven't tried any.  IR blocking is good, because it improves on the existing IR blocking taking place just in front of the sensor.  Any IR reaching the sensor will become visible in the image.  It's hard to say if UV will be visible or not but my guess is the image will be better without it.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow