Steve Huff v3 first impression/review

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
rfbarr
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve Huff v3 first impression/review
In reply to timmer350, 7 months ago

I have been reading his site for awhile now, and I am disappointing by his dismissal of the product.  Not reviewing a product because it did not match your expectations right out of the gate is kind of a weak excuse.  The exact reasons he refuses the review the product is the reason I decided to upgrade from the v2 to the v3.  Had they just upped the megapixels and added one or two features it would have not been a big enough improvement for me to want to upgrade.

I was skeptical at first particularly because of the removable grip and EVF. I was not happy about the XD card slot either. The body feels better and more sturdy then the Nikon 1 v2 and the built/materials seem better quality. I like the size of the design. The v2 was almost sometime too large for me and I did not bring it with me everywhere. I feel better about taking the EVF and the Grip off and bringing it with me in my pocket to the grocery store encase I want to use it.

The fact that you could remove the EVF was almost a deal breaker for me. I have never used a camera with out a viewfinder. I always look though viewfinder to frame my photographs. I am having to get used to using the camera when the EVF is not attached. The fact that the screen tilts helps as I can get a better viewing angle if I need. I was intrigued by the tiling screen. It is a big bonus that I can tilt the screen, look down at the image, and shoot from the hip. It reminds me allot of a TLR ROLLEIFLEX style camera. Should be really great for candid street work.

The v2 EVF never tilted, so I did not expect the v3 would. The LCD screen on the V2 did not tilt but the screen on the v3 does. It is a trade off. You can get better shooting angles while sill being able to see your shot with the v3 then you can on the v2. That is an improvement over the last version.

I have also never liked touch screen on a camera, but I will admit the touch to focus feature is nice. There were times on the V2 that I could not get it to focus right where I want. I find being able to tap where I want focus during certain situations… like macro to be quite useful.

I don’t get why people are saying the microSD card slot is a deal killer. I admit I am not a huge fan, but I have yet to remove the card from the camera when syncing photographs. I bought the largest capacity and that should suite me for most needs. I don’t travel much so don’t need to bring a bunch of cards with me everywhere I go.

I like the Wi-Fi I wanted something that increased my workflow for instagram… yea I know I do some marketing of products on instagram with photos… this helps me get the right to the photo for editing into the proper format. The Wi-Fi does not work quite how I imagined, I had to call tech support because the interface was confusing. Think of it like a direct connection from your camera to your phone. You can shoot live mode through the phone, but all the controls on the camera are not functional while you are connected.

I am most disappointed by the smaller battery. I noticed the life cycle is really going to be affected. I got much more shooting time out of my V2 battery. A couple extra batteries might be necessary for longer shoots. The Wi-Fi also eats up battery pretty quick it seems like.

I did not think about two aspects of the removable grip and viewfinder which are minor, but should be noted. You can’t access the battery when the grip is in place. If you are using the EVF you can’t use the external flash because the hot shoe is taken…. now out of all the iusses with the camera this one is probably the biggest. If i need the EVF and the off camera flash I will have to switch back to my v2 unless I figure a workaround out.

The only feature that the Nikon 1 v3 and V2 don’t have that prevent me from using it as my work camera (Real Estate Photography) is bracketing. If it had that I would be able to do my HDR photographs much easier, and this camera system would probably replace my Nikon D7000. I have a bad back, so the weight difference alone would be worth the switch. Personally the v3 has a place in my camera collection and I am glad I decided to pick it up.

The price is not an issue for me... I have been a photographer for many years.  After paying something like $300 to replace all my lens caps and end caps I lost over the years, I finally accepted that photography is expensive and if you want to play you have to pay.  I could wait for the camera to go on sale, but think about all the missed shooting opportunities for now until when its finally cheaper.

rfbarr's gear list:rfbarr's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow