Senior MemberPosts: 1,599
Like?
Re: Stunning...
In reply to PerL, 2 months ago

PerL wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

jimoyer wrote:

Paulmorgan wrote:

I`ve always believed the best camera for anything including sports, is the camera you have with you at the time.

The fastest auto-focus in the world would not make you a better sports shooter.

I'm sorry Paul, but that's a bit cliche. Yes, you need to have a camera with you to take a picture. That's sort of a given.

As far as the second half of the statement, take two equal shooters, and give one a Fuji X-Pro 1 and another a D4s, and lets see who comes home with more usable images. I've shot plenty of sports with manual focus (70's and 80's Nikon film bodies...mainly an F3HP with MD until the F4 came out) and it certainly can be done. Giving a complete novice the fastest AF in the world and putting them in front of a game they no nothing about won't get the shot. But all things being equal, with two competent photographers?

I very rarely (almost never) quote other photographers...especially off the internet, but Thom Hogan did an interesting article not too long ago that's very relevant to that comment.

It may get me banned at least from the m4/3 forum because it mentions the Nikon 1 system but...

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/its-the-focus-nikon-should.html

As far as the second half of the statement, take two equal shooters, and give one a Fuji X-Pro 1 and another a D4s, and lets see who comes home with more usable images

True a better camera will probably get you more keepers if your an experienced shooter.

Reminds me a little of this chap, he`s an experienced sports shooter and here all he used was a lensbaby.

But technique and skills alone should pretty much get you there irrespective of equipment used.

http://w2.sydsvenskan.se/bildspel/ldasmfriidrott/

He is a pretty good sports photographer and here he used the lens baby for effect. But when he goes to the Olympics you can bet he carries the usual pro stuff.

He is a pretty good sports photographer and here he used the lens baby for effect. But when he goes to the Olympics you can bet he carries the usual pro stuff.

Yes he uses the lensbaby for effect, but have you ever used a lensbaby

I shoot martial arts using lensbabys and this is one of the fastest sports going, most of the event photographers I bump into need a working distance of a least 20 feet using autofocus, I work from a distance often as little as three or four feet and focus manually, this is one of the area`s were even the fastest of auto-focus will struggle.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow