Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Confused of Malvern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051
Like?
Backup Strategy - advice please
7 months ago

Until now I have regularly backed up the data from my home PC to an external hard drive using Nero Back it Up software that came with the PC.  I have recently bought an additional portable hard drive with the intention of making a second backup which I will store off-site at my place of work.

In addition to the various data files such as my documents etc. and all my photos, I've also been backing up the AppData folder under my user name.  My current strategy overcomes the problem if I occidentally delete a file or if I lose all my data but I'm concious that it doesn't back up all the software that is on the PC. Is what I'm doing sufficient or should I be doing more?

I've been looking at other software that is available instead of Nero  but I'm confused by a lot of the terminology.  In addition to data/file backup can someone explain what is meant by the following terms,when would you use these features and whether I ought to be doing any of them:

• Disk/partition backup
  • System back up
  • Disk Cloning
  • Create Linux Emergency Disk (is this any use if I'm not running Linux?)
  • Create WinPE Emergency disk

Finally, (and I'm sure I must be being a bit thick here but such is my lack of understanding) each of the software products available include options for restoring data from the back up copy - but how does that work if it's the hard drive with that software on that has crashed?

If it makes any difference I'm running Windows Vista on a 32bit machine.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow