jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,092Gear list
Like?
Re: In town and in the wild.
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 4 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Nice!

The above 3 are my favorites. The lower two are very delicate, typical of spring, as the buds are starting to burst giving a variety of pastels. Some Art Style (That I no longer remember) mimics that texture/colour.

The first one, of the hawk, was taken at a good distance, something like the Sandhill that I took last year. Anders W. and minniev helped me a lot to understand the nature of that bokeh in a few exchanges:

Preliminary discussion: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51333030

This gets into the guts of it: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51352987

These are great links, thank you!

I have been going over my photos from a year ago with this lens compared to those from the past few weeks, and the ones from a year ago do NOT have this problem at all, so I think it might be something other than "normal" nisen-bokeh.  It also is present in both short and long OOF areas, and in front of as well as behind the subject.  (In other words, I suspect that something that supports the floating elements in the lens may be out of kilter).

I'm going through my shots now to sort out some good examples, and I will start a new thread on the forum to see if anyone has run into this before.  I strongly suspect, however, that the lens is going to need a trip to McAllan, Texas .

Several of us had a rousing good discussion with the sharing of links and good ideas!

I am sure that reading the above will help. At least it will convince you that a tripod would be of minimal value in the case of the hawk, (shot at 1/800 sec). ( Looking at that bokeh, I am guessing that the brush is about 10-20 yards behind the hawk. And the hawk is at about 60 yards away. Right?)

Yes, absolutely, but it does it to close up backgrounds, too.

I hope that this is helpful.

Yes, very :)!

Tom

PS Did you find any wild hazelnuts in your travels?

Not yet...these are all still taken with me not IN the woods, but on the shore opposite where the wildlife is....I do plan to get out to a real wildlife area sometime in the next week or so, though, and I will be looking for them (not sure if they will still be blooming, but worth a shot   ).

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow