Hummingbird - CIF K-50 Kit Lens. (3 imgs)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 26,003
Like?
Hummingbird - CIF K-50 Kit Lens. (3 imgs)
7 months ago

Hi folks,

This is just to show what can be done using Catch-in-Focusing (CIF) even with a kit lens.

Normally I would set the composition up so that the feeder is out of the frame. However, since the hummingbirds are few and far between right now I wanted to make sure I got some shots for this demostration.

These were shot with the Pentax K-50 + the DAL 50-200mm WR kit lens at 200mm using CIF.

(1) - Short the data pin on the camera by taping a small peice of aluminum foil over the pin. The data pin is the very botttom pin as you are looking into the camera at the mirror. When you do this you will only have center point focusing. Re-attach the lens.

(2) - In the menu set Catch-in-focusing to #2, set the Auto power off to OFF. Set continuous shooting to HI.

(3) - With the camera on a tripod, set the camera to manual focus so that you can prefocus the lens so that it will fire when a future hummingbird enters the preselected X, Y, and Z focal plane.

(4) - Attach a locking wired remote. Set the camera to AF-S (important). I also use TAv mode. Press and lock the wired remote. Now, when a hummingbird enters the preselected X, Y, and Z focal plane the camera will fire. It will fire until the hummingbird is no longer in the focal plane. It will begin to fire again whenever another hummingbird enters the focal plane. It will continue in like manner until the SD card is filled, or the battery is drained, or you stop the process. Now, you just wait to see what the camera captures in the way of images.

The following images have been cropped about 50% then resized for the web.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Pentax K-50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow