+++++ Your and your love affair with your m43 - results this week! +++++

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,400Gear list
Like?
Re: I do like the nature shots, Jaly, but …
In reply to Hen3ry, 7 months ago

Hen3ry wrote:

…but you're doing what I used to do and am gradually getting out of the (bad) habit of doing.

You are failing to take advantage of your sensor's variable ISO.

In the shot of the hawk -- which is outstanding -- you think you need a better lens and/or a tripod. Nope -- the first thing you need is to get off base ISO. ISO 800 for that shot would have raised your shutter speed by two steps which would have put you in the "safe" speed zone.

You are correct, and I absolutely should have bumped the ISO.  I have to remember that these cameras are completely capable of doing good things above base ISO when needed, and especially in good light.  Hard to break old habits, you know!

As it is, you have taken this great pic at barely safe shutter speed -- the fraction of a second with a denominator approximately equal to the focal length as 35mm equiv (i.e. 600mm in this case). The "safe" speed back in the day was always considered to be double the focal length -- and anyone using a long lens hand-held was advised to double it again because long lenses are so unhandy.

But I do rally love that shot!

Thank you!  He flew up to that perch right as I got to my vantage point, so I got a lot of shots of him.  This particular one of him with his foot up was my favorite.  He stayed there for about 15 minutes or so, until a group of redwing blackbirds started dive bombing him and chased him away!  (I got only one blurry shot of him leaving, since the camera focused on the tree branches between me and him...and he was moving too fast for me to focus manually...oh well!).

Now to figure out what is going on with the weird bokeh thing that this lens is doing....which it didn't before a few weeks ago (have been checking my old photos from it this AM).  Probably needs a repair of some sort....

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow