Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911Gear list
Like?
Re: New FE Lens Announced - Zeiss 16-35mm F4.0
In reply to quezra, 7 months ago

quezra wrote:

NumberOne wrote:

Overlapping is a subtle (or not so subtle, from my point of view) way to "oblige" you buying another lens...

Let's pick Sony actual/announced 'FE Zoom' range of 3 lenses: 16-35 + 24-70 + 70-200

Now - in terns of range - wouldn't it be better to go wider and have a 12-24? Of course, it would!

By not providing its users, like myself, who need 12 and 14 mm focal length, with the "wider" range, the one and only solution is to buy a prime, in other words, another lens; in a more extreme case, the same goes for someone interested in a 300 mm...

Well that really depends on your needs. I prefer primes in the 'normal' range, so the 16-35 covers all my wide needs, the 28-70 kit and 55/1.8 cover the normal length perfectly and 70-200 would cover the tele (probably on an APS-C body). That just leaves 85mm (and here I am perfectly happy with legacy lenses since I MF portrait shots generally), but Sony would undoubtedly come up with something probably sooner rather than later.

...Well I guess you understood what I meant and the way I probably will go if the 16-35 mm turns out to be true (and good, IQ/optical wise).

Quite frankly, I bought the 24-70 before a trip/small vacation that I had booked, and contrary to many, I find this zoom to be quite good/excellent for what it's supposed to do...

On the other hand, I can/could perfectly live with the 16-35 and the 35 (which I also have for portability/general use) + 55 + a Macro on the 90 to 135 mm range; the overlapping of the 16-35 & 24-70 may be indeed, what will stir my present and planned set of FE lenses...

Contrary to some, I can (also) perfectly understand that many have no problem with this "overlapping" problem of mine - As I've already said, Sony Marketing (and selling) Division studied this lesson well...

Best regards,
Pedro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow