Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690Gear list
Like?
Close-up math
2 months ago

The Olympus 12-50 specs include a maximum magnification of 0.72x. Given that a m43 sensor is 17.3mm x 13mm, I would have thought the minimum field width would be 24mm (17.3/0.72). However, the smallest I can get in focus is about 33mm across (macro mode, manual focus with ring spun clockwise).

What am I doing wrong?

I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out the diopter strength or extension tube length to get a minimum field width of about 35mm with the Olympus 40-150. With a max magnification of 0.16x and a MFD of 900mm, I would have thought I'd need 4-5 diopters or 60mm of extension. Of those two, I'd choose 4-5 diopters (60mm of extension would lose too much light). That's assuming my math and understanding are correct.

Close-up calculator at http://home.comcast.net/~nikond70/Tools/Simple_Close-up_Calculator/Simple_Close-up_Calculator.htm

-- hide signature --
 richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow