Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to ttbek, 7 months ago

ttbek wrote:

It's interesting that Qimage can select different interpolation methods. Lightroom has just one, but from what I've read and from my own experience it's a very good one - better than PS's.

They're both just small variants on bicubic though ... are you sure you aren't just biased to LR over PS?

One theory is that Lightroom looks at the original image and decides if resolution is to be increased or decreased. If it is to be increased then it uses Bicubic Smoother. For decreases then Bicubic Sharper. And there is just Bicubic, so it may use that when resolution stays about the same.

There is a blog on the net which has a number of tests of various interpolation methods. I'm not that impressed with the test images, however he has come to similar conclusions as I have. That is that Qimage and Perfect Resize do the best job of interpolation, and Adobe Bicubic Smoother is a fairly close second. Here is an article where he concludes Lr has improved significantly from Lr3 to Lr4. And the link below should give you a list of the blogs he has written on the subject.

Resampling for Printing

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow