Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?
Re: Will 35mm cropped do instead of 56?
In reply to wyldberi, 5 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

I do few portraits...can I push it?

When cropping, it will behave just like a crop sensor. If you have a f1.8 lens, it will be equivalent to a f2.9 lens when you crop the image.

What you are loosing is the max aperture and resolution.

That's incorrect.

Aperture is a mathematical ratio specific to the lens it is calculated for. The aperture of a lens on a full frame sensor will be the same when the lens is mounted on an APS-C sensor.

What changes on a lens with a crop sensor is the field of view and the depth of field.

I am talking about equivalence, about resulting image if you want (this is what matters !)

Take a portrait with a 35mm lens at f1.8 and crop to have the fov of a 56mm. Take the same portrait with a 56mm f1.8 lens. And compare.

Dof will be shallower with the 56mm lens, it will be also less noisy... In fact, by cropping, the result will be "as if" you had shot with a 56mm f2.9 with less resolution.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the truth in a forum :-). Even if I post pictures demonstrating the effects of crop, there will be always some people that will deny equivalence (a really misunderstood concept)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow