Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lpammann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,141Gear list
Like?
Barred Owls: mother and chick
4 months ago

I knew the Barred Owls had a nest somewhere, but I never could find it. So I resigned myself to the hope that after her chicks fledged Mom would lead them to the woods where I often find her. But then Thursday evening I spotted a young Barred Owlet high in a tree near one of Mom's favorite hunting perches.

Hello World!

These were shot with my K3+1.4xAW+DA*300. I went back early Friday to get some shots with my Televue 85 scope (600mm f/7). Mom was in the tree:

but her chick was somewhat hidden away further back in the tree:

Then Mom very quickly flew to another tree, grabbed a snack she must have stashed there earlier, and brought it back to her chick:

before flying away to hunt some more while junior finished his breakfast:

Unfortunately I could not get a shooting angle without very strong backlighting which resulted in some CA with the 1.4xAW on the scope. The CA was manageable, but next time I'll just use the TV85 w/o the 1.4x because I don't really need the extra magnification here.

LPA

lpammann's gear list:lpammann's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow