Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ted Partrick
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
Re: Since Lightroom is so good, what do you use Photoshop for?
In reply to Sutherland, 5 months ago

I can't imagine photography without both LR and PS. Doing without either one would require some major rebuilding of my work flow. Two things important to me are 1) being able to take as many (free!) photographs as I want, and 2) being able to make as perfect a photo as I can.

How would I handle 800 photographs taken at the beach over the holidays with just Picasa or Iview of Bridge and Photoshop? Portraits, food, birds, sunsets, surfers, family, play, wide angle, telephoto, sunlit, night sky, card games at night - these all go into LR first. LR is an elegant way to quickly find the good ones and discard the bad ones. The very good adjustments available in LR give me a good idea of how good each photo can be with some adjustments. The elegance is the combination of very fast adjustments to a large number of photos and very flexible tools to select the cream of the crop. I don't know how I would rather reduce the 800 to the 40 best.  The 40 best ones are shown to everyone to share and enjoy.

How would I make my very best 4-10 photos from the 40 best? I use PS for the final retouching, the handcrafted work in layers, masks, adjustment layers and filters, repairs (cloning, painting, healing), and compositing. There may be plugins that can do all this, but I'm not familiar with them.

This thread was very interesting to me. My recommendation is LR+PS all the way. The combination is more than the sum of its parts.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow