Front filter for lens-UV or clear glass?

Started May 3, 2014 | Questions thread
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,058Gear list
Like?
Re: Front filter for lens-UV or clear glass?
In reply to Normo, May 3, 2014

Normo wrote:

I am getting the kit 18-55mm lens and want to put a filter on the front. I have been looking at B&W filters and have probably been reading too much. Do most of you use a UV / haze reducing filter or just plain clear glass. B&W makes some expensive and high quality filters and wondered what most of you Fuji users employ. I am getting a XE1 with the kit lens at a good price ( thanks to members of the forum for a heads up) and want to protect the lens and images as best as I can. Thanks Norm

Just a note: the ampersand is not used in the name of the B+W products. It's a trade name.

I'm one of those who like using a clear filter on all my lenses. If nothing else, they help keep the front lens element clean. Out of habit I use UV filters; the clear protective filters will render the same effect on a digital camera, so it's just a matter of personal preference which one to select.

As mentioned, it's not a good idea to put a cheap or inexpensive filter on an expensive lens; such filters can degrade image quality. To protect my lenses, and the images I'm recording, I've opted for the B+W Nano MRC filters. They're made with the same quality glass used in my Fuji lenses, and the protective coatings used are as good or better than the coatings used by Fuji on the lenses. In the case of the Nano coated filters, this is a superior feature that really does make it quick and easy to keep the filter surface clean and streak free.

B+W has been a top line optics supplier for many decades. Their reputation is based on consistency made possible by extremely high quality control standards and practices. All of their filters come in very nice brass rings. I do use other brands of filters for specific effect filters, but for protective filters and polarizer filters I prefer the B+W brand.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow