Front filter for lens-UV or clear glass?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,927
Like?
Re: Front filter for lens-UV or clear glass?
In reply to Normo, 6 months ago

Normo wrote:

I am getting the kit 18-55mm lens and want to put a filter on the front. I have been looking at B&W filters and have probably been reading too much. Do most of you use a UV / haze reducing filter or just plain clear glass. B&W makes some expensive and high quality filters and wondered what most of you Fuji users employ. I am getting a XE1 with the kit lens at a good price ( thanks to members of the forum for a heads up) and want to protect the lens and images as best as I can. Thanks Norm

Use the front filter judiciously. You may not need it all the time, in fact you may find that you don't need it most of the time. However, if it gives you peace of mind, use it by all means.

All that said, if you do want to use a filter, it's best to use a neatral colour filter, as UV filtering is not necessary for digital sensors.

And use a high quality one in order to minimise any detrimental effect on image quality. In most circumstances you will not be able to tell appart images taken with or without the filter. You will want to take some care when photographing into the light with a filter on, as the additional glass surfaces could be the source of internal reflections.

I use Nikon NC filters of the appropriate size (in this case 58mm) or Hoya Super HMC Pro1 UV(0) grade filters. They are both top quality items. There may be others, but I never needed to use anything else, so I have no first hand expereience with any of those.

You cannot get confused with the Nikon filter as they only make the one grade of NC filters. Hoya on the other hand, make many different grades. Super HMC Pro1 is their top model, and I would not consider buying the lesser grades from them. Super HMC is the name of the multi coating they use on the glass, and Pro1 is the designation for the thin metal ring they use.

Good luck with your new camera.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow