+++++ Your and your love affair with your m43 - results this week! +++++

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,818Gear list
Like?
I do like the nature shots, Jaly, but …
In reply to jalywol, 5 months ago

…but you're doing what I used to do and am gradually getting out of the (bad) habit of doing.

You are failing to take advantage of your sensor's variable ISO.

In the shot of the hawk -- which is outstanding -- you think you need a better lens and/or a tripod. Nope -- the first thing you need is to get off base ISO. ISO 800 for that shot would have raised your shutter speed by two steps which would have put you in the "safe" speed zone.

As it is, you have taken this great pic at barely safe shutter speed -- the fraction of a second with a denominator approximately equal to the focal length as 35mm equiv (i.e. 600mm in this case). The "safe" speed back in the day was always considered to be double the focal length -- and anyone using a long lens hand-held was advised to double it again because long lenses are so unhandy.

But I do rally love that shot!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow