+++++ Your and your love affair with your m43 - results this week! +++++

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,706Gear list
Like?
Re: Answered my own question...well not quite!
In reply to Wormsmeat, 5 months ago

How trustworthy is CNN? Betel nuts are not called quids anywhere to my knowledge. They are nuts. They are green when they are eaten -- you don’t want them ripe (red or yellow).

I suspect the "quid" term comes from western (particularly southern USA, I believe) tobacco chewing. I don't know how common it is today, but it used to be very common so that spittoons were everywhere. Your betel nut "quid" would be the chewed nut, combined with the chewed "daka" (a peppery stuff, the favored version here is a long, skinny fruit off a vine, but there are also leaves and even bark which can be used), plus lime (made here from roasting dead coral).

You chew all three and get a fibrous red mixture. If you want to be really affected, you swallow the juice but for mild, social effects, you spit out the juice. At some point you also spit out the quid. Not very sanitary and you have red stains all over the place, but hey, this is the local, traditional "brew" (if you like).

Yes, red and black teeth are the mark of very heavy users although even light users get red stain on their teeth very easily and will assiduously clean them. A friend who was from a Seventh Day Adventist community (they don't chew betel nut) told me she spent about $70 getting her teeth professionally cleaned before she went home for a visit because she had been chewing betel nut in town.

As for cancer -- yes, a few get it. They are more likely to get mouth or lung cancer from smoking like anyone else who smokes (favored smoke here: home cured tobacco rolled in newspaper -- but not the picture pages. Not a bad smoke, actually, I tried it back in the day, but I gave up smoking a long, long time ago -- about the time the music stopped, actually) or, like the Chinese, get soft palate cancer from drinking boiling hot tea all the time (I drink black tea all the time, it is my fuel throughout the day and even at night, I am having a cup now, but I always put a little cold water in it first).

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow