Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Smoking Camera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,278Gear list
Like?
Not a V3 Review
2 months ago

My philosophy is give me a camera, any camera, and I will try to find it's strengths and weaknesses and use it to the best of my abilities.

With that in mind, I'm still evaluating the V3, however, I am surprised at Steve Huff's complete and total dismissal of the camera. My initial feeling is this a wonderful camera with some significant improvements over the V1 - but at a steep price. I considered the V2 but didn't see enough of an upgrade over the V1. In the V3 I like the extra pixels, the camera is gorgeous and well built, I kind of like the modular EVF, the tilting lcd is a revelation and function button customization is very welcome. I don't like the squishy shutter, the micro SD card and high price. A magazine wanted to purchase one of my V1 images but the resolution was insufficient. Now hoping I can sell a V3 image or two in the future to pay for this purchase.

For me, the V3 is a nice complementary camera to my Nikon DSLRs. If I want the highest IQ I'm willing to carry the extra weight and use my d800, if I need low light quality I use my heavy duty D4 or more diminutive Df. The V3 is my fun daylight camera with incredible reach and sufficiently good IQ in a small, discreet package. I have a small bag with a 10, 18, 32, 10-30 and 30-110 lens along with an SB-n5 flash. Covers just about everything I need.

If I were starting from scratch I would look for a bargain V1 and prime lens or the 30-110 for amazing reach. If I already owned a V1 or V2, then the V3 only makes sense if you value the tiltable touchscreen and more pixels . And by the way, having those extra pixels is a luxury, not a necessity.

Tomorrow I plan to shoot a night time event with the V3 so I will get an idea of low light capability. This, however, is a bonus because if the images were important I would use the proper tool such as the Nikon D4 of Df. Tomorrow's event is just for fun as it should always be with the Nikon V3.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.thesmokingcamera.com

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HahaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow