Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning...
In reply to Ulric, 2 months ago

Ulric wrote:

PerL wrote:

Ontario Gone wrote:

PerL wrote:

Use that when you can use it and when it is not possible to use, use than the faster auto-focus times on the GH4.

But I don't think GH4 has a faster AF/better hit rate in a real sports shooting scenario.

But how do you know that? What are you basing your opinion on? There is nothing in a physics sense that says a DSLR has to be faster than mirrorless, so if your only argument is "well it hasn't happened yet" , that's pretty thin. The reason a DSLR has been ahead is because the reflex mirror and PDAF have been developing for decades. The problem with that system is it is very hardware dependent, every shot the AF module loses sight of the target, thanks to the flipping mirror.

I am spectical because I have heard for years the "worlds fastest AF" claim, not the least from Panasonic. I remain so until I have seen something that convinces me. I want to see thight shots with shallow DOF of real sports/action scenarios, not small kids running, midtown traffic, turists on bikes, not kit lenses or slow teles shot in bright light with excessive DOF, etc. Show some striking shots that could be published in Sports Illustrated.

I second this request, pictures would be more convincing than this test.

Eric Bowles On May. 2nd, 2014 (13 hours ago) Dan – thanks for sharing your test results. Mirrorless looks quite promising and is certainly improving rapidly. It’s clearly the way of the future. It seems to me your results with the GH4 are about the same as your Speeding Dog test of the Nikon D600. That’s remarkably good and certainly acceptable. Of course – skill from lots of practice is required for that kind of success rate. The potential frame rate of a mirrorless camera is another major plus. The lack of a mirror means frame rate is driven by processing and write speed. Frame rates of 20-30 fps for a single burst can make a big difference at peak action.

Reply Portrait of Daniel J. Cox Daniel J. Cox On May. 2nd, 2014 (13 hours ago) Eric, good observation regarding your comparison of the numbers between the GH4 and my tests with the Nikon D600. I agree with your comment regarding frame rate possibilities with the mirrorless cameras. There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to get the 20-30FPS you mention and even more. Exciting times ahead in photography.

Please, Josbiker

josbiker's gear list:josbiker's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow