PIX 2015

Do you believe that some Canon lenses have the resolution ...

Started Apr 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you believe that some Canon lenses have the resolution ...
In reply to meland, May 3, 2014

I was talking in general of course I cannot list here all the lens with their best aperture...but for most lens the best resolution is at about 1-2 stops down from maximum aperture. Not at f9-13 as people tend to believe. That was actually my point. That the maximum resolution is achieved at a wide aperture and that at this wide aperture you will have a shallow depth of field on a full frame camera. So you cannot actually benefit of this high resolution for let's say landscape where you would want to shoot f9. That is why people use tilt and shift lens so they can achieve the DOF they want at a sharp aperture.

Putting 50Mp on a full frame camera would be overkill because with most lens you would be able to benefit of this high resolution only at wide apertures, where most of the frame will not be in focus anyway...The only way to benefit from a high megapixel count is to use a big sensor with a big enough pixel dimension.

Muresan Bogdan's gear list:Muresan Bogdan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow