Steve Huff v3 first impression/review

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
dpr4bb
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
Re: Remember when he wasn't a fan of the V2?
In reply to DesertCat, 2 months ago

DesertCat wrote:

Steve's certainly entitled to his opinion, but I also remember when he gave a fairly non-glowing mini-review of the V2. What did it really come down to at that time? Price. That was when the V1 wsa on fire sale for about $300. The V2 was going for its initial release price of $800 at that time. So... in his assessment of image quality versus the cost of the camera, he felt that the V1 was the clear winner. I suppose it was, to a certain degree, at those prices at that time. Does that mean that the V2 was somehow a highly flawed product? Well no, he never really cited any evidence of that, he just didn't think the V2 offered enough image improvement over the V1 to justify the cost difference. As a result of Steve's relatively negative review, a whole bunch of people wrote off the V2.

Well, here we are again. The V3 is even more expensive, the pictures aren't a gigantic leap forward in IQ, and Steve declares he's may not do a full review of the V3 due to his disappointment. Well... he only gave a very brief review of the V2 but... wait for it... now he says:

"I have some nice 1 system lenses so I may buy a V2 once it goes to fire sale clearance."

Ahh, I see. So there really wasn't anything so wrong with the V2, it's just the price issue. My conclusion is that Steve only likes Nikon 1 V-series cameras when they are $400 or less. That's when he wrote his glowing reviews of the V1. That's why he initially bagged on the V2 (at $800 it was too expensive). That seems to be his largest complaint with the V3 (at $1200 it's too expensive). He even says he wants the V3 to sell for $399. Well don't we all? I do think he is correct in that Nikon's initial prices are too high. Once the dust settles, though, people need semi-objective reviews to know whether the camera is good or bad, regardless of the price tag. He never gave us that article on the V2. Given his initial negativity towards the V2, I'm laughing that it is now suddenly just fine in comparison to the V3 (if it goes on a fire sale).

Happy V2 owner here. I bought it in spite of Steve's opinion. Though I don't expect to buy a V3 any time soon, I sure wouldn't be swayed away from it by this semi-rant of a semi-article.

I think the most telling statement in his V2 review, not just about the V2, but the context surrounding the Nikon 1 line of cameras, was the following:

"But one thing that is different today than when i write the V1 review is that we have the Olympus OM-D that was NOT out when the original V1 surfaced so my bottom line conclusion just may be different than it was with the V1."

Nikon didn't or couldn't develop the product line forward at the pace that it had to in order to maintain the target audience's enthusiasm and make it stick.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow