POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Started 4 months ago | Polls thread
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
In reply to gardenersassistant, 4 months ago

Thanks for the link to the cheaper color checker card. However, I don't think it'll do the same thing the author of the article on camera calibration is talking about; there doesn't seem to be any software included with this card, and it's the software that allows you to create the ACR/Lightroom profiles.

If I get it, I'll see if it creates a better profile for my cameras than Adobe did, using the technique for creating more flexible profiles, rather than region-specific ones. I agree that calibrating ACR or Lightroom on a per-region basis seems like a lot of work.

I've done some rudimentary calibration by eye by photographing multiple test print test photos with a lot of colors and grayscale tones under various lighting conditions and getting what I see in the original photograph to match what I see on the screen in ACR. Then I save that tweaked version as the default for that camera, at that ISO, so it's automatically applied when I import the images into ACR. This gives me a much better starting point than the Adobe standard or the JPEG in terms of accurate color and contrast. I would hope that the ColorChecker profiles would be even better, as they seem to be in the article's examples.

David

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow