Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,442Gear list
Like?
Off-camera strobe with A7: Nikon SC-17 cord works GREATT
2 months ago

The idea of mounting a heavy strobe on the A7 was a non-starter.

I just discovered that the old Nikon SC-17 extension cord  - available from multiple eBay vendors and probably elsewhere for $15 or less - works very well.

If you have a high-sensitivity voltmeter and can confirm that your flash has a trigger voltage low enough for the A7 - I think it's 5 volts - you can get good off-the-camera flash with any old flash.

Yes, it's manual mode - but many old units can be adjusted for output. And besides, who needs TTL when you see you image the instant you make it.

The great grip on the A7 lets you hold the camera in one hand and the flash connected via the SC-17 either in bounce or off-camera direct modes. I still have my Canon 300TL from the late 1980s, and it works brilliantly.

Note: Virtually NONE of the Vivitar flash units have a voltage compatible with the A7. That includes the 283, 285 and 365.

Mel

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow