POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?

Started 4 months ago | Polls thread
gardenersassistant
Contributing MemberPosts: 823
Like?
Re: POLL: How often do you shoot raw images?
In reply to phototransformations, 4 months ago

phototransformations wrote:

Thanks for posting this, Nick. It illustrates very well some of the benefits of RAW. They may be subtle and not significant to a lot of people, but I think they make the difference between a decent photograph and a very good one. The point you are making is similar to that being made in the recent article on calibrating cameras, here, which is convincing me I need to get a ColorChecker Passport.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6497352654/get-more-accurate-color-with-camera-calibration-

From that article: "The theory of 'Marginal Gains' states that if you make tiny improvements in all aspects of your performance, then these improvements will all add up and create a significant overall improvement. The theory of Marginal Gains can also help with your photographic workflow."

David

Thanks David. That is a very interesting link. I've said on several occasions to people in little practical photography groups I run that my processing is often a lot of very small and perhaps almost imperceptible changes, which I believe can collectively have a quite large impact sometimes. But I've never seen it expressed that way, and wider than just processing too, which is good. Theory of Marginal Gains - I like that.

The ColorChecker Passport is interesting. I've used white/grey card, but ended up using that as a starting point and then adjusting to make it look "right", or "good" (not necessarily the same thing of course). And someone in one of my groups said that if I was going to adjust it anyway by eye, why not just do that and sidestep the white/grey card. It seemed like a good point to me, and that's what I've been doing since. I can't help thinking that (a) it might prove to be similar with the ColorChecker Passport and (b) am I really going to have the patience to set up suitable presets and then apply them appropriately? It's not really my style. And how many? And covering what circumstances? Doing it by site seems a strange way to go about it - what about different ambient lighting conditions?

I don't know.... but perhaps I should actually try it rather than assuming on no evidence that it won't work for me..... Blimey, I've just seen how much it costs! Hmmm.  I wonder if the CameraTrax 24ColorCard 2x3 with White Balance and User Guide is much the same; for about 1/6 the price I'd be more inclined to try that.

For some reason it won't let me embed a link to the CameraTrax, so here it is separately

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CameraTrax-24ColorCard-2x3-White-Balance-Guide/dp/B004QXU8VI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399073356&sr=8-3&keywords=colorchecker+passport

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow